Wednesday, May 7, 2008

curling eyelashes

Curling my eyelashes is a vital step in any of my eye makeup looks. I have fairly straight eyelashes, so I cannot under emphasize the difference made by curling my eyelashes before applying mascara.

The first time I tried curling my eyelashes, I was very excited. I was a little over-zealous with the curling and pinched my eyelid (I was about 10, so mistakes were to be expected). I also squeezed and held the curler clamped shut for far too long (15 seconds, 30 seconds, I don't really remember). My lashes ended up at a 90 degree angle. Needless to say it took a little practice to get it right.

My biggest tip for making the best curl is to "walk the curler" along your eyelashes, and this is a technique specifically for clamp curlers (the most common type). I start by trying to make the first crimp as close to my lash line as possible, without catching my eyelid. I then hold the curler down for a brief moment, up to about 5 seconds. After creating this crimp, I pull the curler out a little bit from the base of the lashes and make a second crimp. Making 2 crimps (or possibly 3 if you can manage it) creates the prettiest and most effective curl, in my opinion.

Try to curl your lashes before you put on mascara, because mascara can make your lashes stick to the crimping pads in the curler, pulling them out.

Good curlers can be found at different price points, although the Cadillac of eyelash curlers is by Shu Uemura. I was lucky enough to receive my Shu for my 18th birthday, which is nice because it retails for around $25. It really is a superior tool, making curling a breeze, and giving the nicest effect.

Shu Uemura eyelash curler
Shu Uemura eyelash curler from shuuemura-usa.com

If you are not looking to spend that much (and I wouldn't blame you), I would try and look for a curler with a metal body (as opposed to plastic) because you can squeeze gently but effectively. I find the plastic ones feel flimsy and don't give enough curl. Sometimes curlers are labelled with different levels of curl, from natural to dramatic. Get the dramatic, because I have found that any of the ones labelled natural don't do much of anything!

You may need to test a few to find the one that fits your eye the best and works the most effectively for you, but I highly recommend you try it!

No comments: