Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Concealers Part 1 - Under Eye

Concealers are the backbone of any makeup look, be it natural or full-on glamour. One basic use that everyone appreciates having concealer for is under the eyes.

Although some have more issues with their under eye area than others, everyone can enjoy the instant lift and pop that a good under eye concealer can give. Basically, a great under eye concealer will give you the pick me up that lets others believe that you had eight hours of sleep last night.

Of course there is basic heavy concealer, the kind that is great for blemishes or discolourations but may be too much for the under eye - no one wants to look crepey and uneven, especially not under the eyes.

Now there are newer formulations made for use in this area, with a smoother, thinner consistency AND light diffusing particles. They are made to camouflage darkness by reflecting light in the (usually shadowed) area around the inner corners of your eyes. A fabulous optical (pun intended) illusion!

I have used one called Touche Eclat from Yves Saint Laurent Beaute, a highlight concealer with light diffusing properties. It has a very thin consistency and comes in a click-pen format, with a brush tip.

There is also a new product from gloMinerals called gloBrightener highlight concealer. It is a click pen with a sponge tip, so you can just smooth it over the area and blend with your ring finger, no brush needed. It has a bit more coverage than the Touche Eclat, with light diffusing properties as well.

Photobucket
Image courtesy of gloMinerals.

I have taken a picture so that you can see its magic in action. It is quite nice as it gives subtle coverage and light diffusion, with a creamy texture that hydrates and prevents crepiness.

Photobucket
As you can see, I have gloBrightener on the left side, and no concealer on the right side. It conceals and evens the tone under my eye without looking cakey or overdone. Love it!

P.S. Please excuse the unkempt brows, but check back for my upcoming posts on my experiments with them. I have been in serious need of brow rehab, so I have locked up my tweezers and started trying some new methods to regrow... once testing is up, expect a report from me!

1 comment:

Bionicola said...

Thanks for a great post!
I'm really interested in finding out the best ways to minimize my really dark undereye circles.